A Rush to Judgment in Bulgarian Blast?

One problem in assessing blame for terror attacks in the Middle East is that governments have political interests in linking these outrages to enemies and then pushing that case in public forums. That dynamic may now be influencing the probe of a terror bombing in Bulgaria, reports Gareth Porter for Inter Press Service.

By Gareth Porter

Bulgarian Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov’s dramatic announcement last Tuesday on the Bulgarian investigation of the July 2012 terror bombing of an Israeli tourist bus was initially reported by Western news media as suggesting clear evidence of Hezbollah’s responsibility for the killings.

But more accurate reports on the minister’s statement and the only details he provided reveal that the alleged link between the bomb suspects and Hezbollah was merely an “assumption” rather than a conclusion based on specific evidence.

The airport in Burgas, Bulgaria, near the site of the 2012 bombing. (Photo credit: Christian Rasmussen)

Tsvetanov was quoted by various Western news outlets as saying, “We have established that the two were members of the militant wing of Hezbollah.” The minister also said, “There is data showing the financing and connection between Hezbollah and the two suspects,” according to the BBC and Jerusalem Post.

Those statements implied that the Bulgarian investigators had uncovered direct evidence of Hezbollah’s involvement in the Burgas bombing.

But the New York Times on Wednesday quoted Tsvetanov as saying, in remarks to a session of Bulgaria’s Consultative Council on National Security Tuesday, “A reasonable assumption, I repeat a reasonable assumption, can be made that the two of them were members of the militant wing of Hezbollah.” That statement appeared to acknowledge that he was merely speculating on the basis of data that doesn’t necessarily support that conclusion.

In a report on Wednesday by Sofia News Agency, Bulgaria’s largest English-language news provider, Tsvetanov was quoted as saying that the investigation had led to a “well-founded assumption” that two of the perpetrators of the deadly attack belonged to what the Bulgarian government is calling the “militant wing of Hezbollah.”

In an interview with Bulgarian National Radio Wednesday, the Bulgarian chief prosecutor, Sotir Tsatsarov, emphasized that the investigation of the Burgas bus bombing had not been concluded and expressed concern about the term “well-founded assumption.”

The chief prosecutor implied that Tsvetanov’s conclusion about Hezbollah might have been swayed by political pressures. Tsatsarov said that the prosecutor’s office “could not be used to make political decisions or to justify them,” according to Sofia News Agency.

In a television interview for the morning broadcast of Bulgarian National Television, Bulgarian Foreign Minister Nikolay Mladenov defended Tsvetanov’s use of the phrase “well-founded assumption.” Mladenov explained that it meant that Bulgaria had “good reason” to believe that the attack had been organized and inspired by members of the militant branch of Hezbollah at this stage of the investigation, Sofia News Agency reported. But Mladenov did not claim that any of those “good reasons” consisted of hard evidence.

In an interview with Associated Press on Tuesday, Europol Director Rob Wainright said, “The Bulgarian authorities are making quite a strong assumption that this is the work of Hezbollah.” But Wainright also cited only the most general arguments in support of Tsvetanov’s “assumption,” declaring, “From what I’ve seen of the case – from the very strong, obvious links to Lebanon, from the modus operandi of the terrorist attack and from other intelligence that we see – I think that is a reasonable assumption.”

Europol had sent several investigators to help the Bulgarian authorities on the Burgas bombing investigation, Wainwright told Associated Press.

None of the details provided by Tsvetanov, according to press reports, involved evidence showing that two of the alleged conspirators belonged to Hezbollah or to Hezbollah financing of the terror plot. The most important piece of evidence cited by Tsvetanov was the lengthy stays in Lebanon by two of the three alleged participants in the bombing and driver’s licenses that were forged in Lebanon.

Tsvetanov said the two alleged conspirators with Canadian and Australian passports who are believed to have helped the third member of the cell carry out the Burgas bombing lived in Lebanon between 2006 and 2010. He also indicated that two of driver’s licenses used by the conspirators were “forged in Lebanon,” and that Bulgaria was able to piece together the movements of two of the suspects from Lebanon to Europe.

Those connections between the alleged conspirators and the bombing by themselves could hardly support an assumption of Hezbollah responsibility for the bombing. Al-Qaeda terrorist cells have been operating in Lebanon for years, and have the technical capability for such a bombing plot.

Members of one Al-Qaeda network of 13 men organized in different cells arrested in 2006 and 2007 confessed to having planned and carried out the 2005 assassination of Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, although they retracted their confessions before trial.

Furthermore, Al-Qaeda has claimed responsibility for a series of terrorist bombings involving Israeli tourists in the past, whereas there is no known case of a Hezbollah bombing of Israeli tourists, as a Hezbollah spokesman pointed out Wednesday.

In November 2002, Al-Qaeda carried out a terrorist attack on Israeli tourists in Mombasa, Kenya in November 2002 that involved an attempted shoot-down of an Israeli passenger aircraft and a triple suicide car bombing of an Israeli-owned hotel.

Two years later, an Al-Qaeda affiliate took responsibility for bombings at three Red Sea resorts, killing 34 Israeli tourists. And in July 2005, the same Al-Qaeda-related organization took responsibility for suicide bomb attacks that killed at least 88 people at a shopping area and hotel packed with tourists, including Israelis, in the Egyptian Red Sea resort city of Sharm el Sheik.

Nevertheless, Tsvetanov offered no other specific evidence to support his conclusion about the assumed Hezbollah connection.

Another aspect of the Bulgarian investigation suggesting that information about the alleged participants is still very limited is the fact, reported by the Bulgarian daily newspaper Sega, that the investigators had found no direct communication and only “indirect indications” of ties between the Arab holding an Australian passport and the perpetrator of the attack.

The Bulgarian charge of Hezbollah responsibility for the bombing based on little more than assumption has raised the suspicion in Bulgaria that the government was under pressure from the United States and Israel to reach a conclusion that aligned with the Israeli-American position.

Foreign Minister Mladenov denied that Bulgaria was pressured into issuing a statement on the progress of the investigation. But both Israel and the United States have given evidence of wanting such a statement. Bulgaria is a member of NATO and has expanded military and intelligence ties with Israel since Israeli relations with Turkey soured in 2009.

Israel also played a key role in the Bulgarian investigation, as Interior Minister Tsvetanov acknowledged in his presentation Tuesday. He specifically thanked the Israeli government for its support in regard to the investigation and said Israel had provided “relevant expertise” in regard to one of the indicators implicitly cited as pointing to Hezbollah – the identification of the false driver’s licenses used by the alleged bomb cell.

Ha’aretz reported Tuesday that Israel and the United States had both feared that, “while the investigation’s finding would be clear, Bulgaria’s public statement would be ambiguous and would not name Hezbollah responsible.”

John Brennan, President Barack Obama’s primary adviser on homeland security and counter-terrorism, issued a statement that portrayed the Bulgarian investigation as having reached a definitive conclusion. Brennan praised the Bulgarian authorities for “their determination and commitment to ensuring that Hizballah is held to account for this act of terror on European soil.”

Gareth Porter, an investigative historian and journalist specialising in U.S. national security policy, received the UK-based Gellhorn Prize for journalism for 2011 for articles on the U.S. war in Afghanistan. [This story was originally published by Inter Press Service.]

Share this Article:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks
  • NewsVine
  • Technorati
  • email

7 comments on “A Rush to Judgment in Bulgarian Blast?

  1. gregorylkruse on said:

    Brennan is the perfect one to have in place at the CIA if the US wants to carry out a plan to make Saudi Arabia the governess of all the children of Ishmael while the children of Israel annex the West Bank. I have this gut feeling that a concensus has been informally arrived at that there is no two-state solution possible, and that we might as well let the little brats have their Eretz and get on with corporatizing the world.

  2. incontinent reader on said:

    Thanks Mr. Porter, for investigating the facts so carefully. Getting the narrative right and getting it out in the public’s eye is the only real chance one has to rebut these false flag operations that are so often misreported by the mainstream media to advance the political agenda of special interests (in this case AIPAC and Israel).

    As for Brennan, and his heart and ethics, if he ever had any, they were perverted a long time ago in favor of careerism, and maybe its time he should, like Feinstein, be put out to pasture, notwithstanding any opinion of those in the Administration who may think they can control his activities, since sometimes, as a tactical matter, it is a mistake to keep one’s friends close and one’s enemies closer.

    My concern here is that a deal with the Senate could have been struck, or be in the offing, that has accepted Brennan as DCIA, in exchange for Senate approval of Hagel, which would be a cynical compromise indeed. So, kudos to Code Pink for getting in the trenches and keeping these issues in the public eye. They are right on.

  3. Rehmat on said:

    On Tuesday, Zionist prime minister Netanyahu called on European Union (EU) to declare Lebanese Islamic Resistance and partner in Lebanon’s Unity government a “terrorist organization”. Why? Because some pro-Israel Jewish Bulgarian official jumped in front of gun and announced that Hizballah was behind the last year Israeli bus bombing in resort city of Burgas. This was despite the fact that Sofia’s “official investigation” is still in progress.

    Our good-old ‘Israel-Firster’ Canadian foreign minister, John Baird, immediately, provided a “helping hand” to Netanyahu, by claiming that a Canadian dual national based in Lebanon has been linked to the bombing of a bus filled with innocent Israeli tourists in Bulgaria last year. Baird shied away from naming the person who has not lived in Canada for years – as more than 80% of 100,000 Canadians of Lebanese origin are Christians. However, Baird did ask the EU to immediately declare Hizballah as a “terrorist organization”. Incidently, Canada is one of three out of 193-members nations of United Nations, which have “honored” Hizballah with such award – the other two are the US and Israel.

    Considering Israeli Mossad history of stealing or forging passports of Canadian, New Zealander, South African, British and Middle Eastern citizens – how difficult it would be to play similar trick to implicate Hizballah in Mossad false flag operation in Burgas?

    In September 1997, two Mossad agents who injected Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal with deadly poison in Amman (Jordan), were arrested carrying fake Canadian passports. Canadian foreign minister, Lylod Axworthy, not an Israeli poodle like Baird – was so upset that he expelled Israeli ambassador David Burger. Berger did return to his post in Ottawa, only after Zionist regime promised not to conduct such dirty practice in future. However, one can never trust Israeli officials.

    http://rehmat1.com/2013/02/07/israel-hizballah-behind-bulgarian-bus-bombing/

  4. Gerald Perdue on said:

    In my opinion, the 2005 assassination of Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri was one of the first drone attacks in the Middle East. The pictures of the attack look more like a missile hit than a car bombing.

  5. F. G. Sanford on said:

    Sounds to me like some folks probably ought to invest in a dictionary and look up “forgery”. These con-artists would, I suppose, have us believe that counterfeit dollars are always “made in America”, which proves what? The Mafia did it? As for Bulgaria, it should have the common sense to avoid subjecting its people to terrorism inspired by Israel’s policies by leaving Israel to reap the fruit of its own undoing. Siding with them is becoming more and more a recipe for retribution.

    • F. G. Sanford on said:

      By the way, I recall hearing some commentators remark that the driver’s license in question somehow “miraculously” survived the blast. Not just a forgery, but bomb-proof as well!

      • Andrew P Nichols on said:

        Ha – just like the 911 hijackers passports! Oh my – It’s so easy to fool the public and so tragic there aren’t any journos or independent newspapers left to point out these howlers. we live in dark times.